Full time Gardener at Dumfries House
Under the direction and supervision of the Head of Gardens carry out essential garden and estate development/maintenance duties for the enhancement of the estate and its policies.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
Participate in the continual development and maintenance operations of the gardens and wider estate including, border care and presentation, digging/forking, fertilizer/ application, planting, pruning, soil preparation, tree/hedge work, leaf/debris collection, division of herbaceous plants, watering/upkeep of pots and containers, strimming, grass cutting and any other general horticultural operations. 39 hours per week.
1. The duties of the post will be a flexible blend of any or all of the following depending on the seasonal horticultural needs of the estate:
- Grass-cutting, strimming, and raking/collection.
- Cutting of lawn edges.
- Digging, forking, hand-weeding of beds and borders.
- Potting, lining-out, planting, or removal of plants, trees, and shrubs.
- Application of mulches and top-dressings.
- Raking/sweeping of gravel and hard-surfaces.
- Hand weeding.
- Strimming and grass cutting.
- Vegetable cultivation and harvesting.
- Glasshouse maintenance and propagation.
- Sweeping paths and terraces,
- Maintenance of formal and informal ponds.
- Any other garden duties deemed necessary to ensure the estates are well presented to the visiting public
- Responding to general visitor enquiries.
- Assisting at events held within the gardens or grounds.
- Carry out oral risk assessments from existing Activity procedure documents for own work.
2. Ensuring compliance with the Trust’s health, safety, and environmental policies and procedures. protection.
3. Promote a positive working relationships/attitude with other work colleagues and the wider estate team.
Required Skills, Experience & Knowledge:
The above outlines the key skills the post-holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition knowledge and experience in the following is required:
- Experience of using a wide range of horticultural machines, including pedestrian and ride-on - mowers, ATVs, strimmers, hedge-trimmers, leaf blowers etc., including basic machine checks and repairs. LANTRA Qualifications.
- Broad Practical horticultural experience gained through working within the horticultural industry in a historical heritage/botanical garden or similar open to the public.
- RHS level 2 practical and theory or equivalent relevant qualifications.
- Experience of working in teams within the horticultural industry and as a sole team member working unsupervised to achieve standards and meet targets.
- Extensive and proven experience of routine gardening techniques and maintenance operations.
- Good knowledge and interest in the cultivation of plants and their identification.
- Practical knowledge of Health and Safety processes and procedures and the ability to work effectively within these processes.
- Good organisational and time-management skills – including the ability to prioritise work where necessary take responsibility and use initiative.
- Ability to be flexible, in particular to adapt working patterns and tasks to meet day-to- day variations in weather or property needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; confident in interacting and dealing with a wide range of people of different interests/abilities and able to represent the Trust.
- Current clean driving license valid for driving within the UK.
- PA1 and PA6
- Knowledge and experience in Organic techniques and procedures
Please submit a cover letter and CV (please note one A4 page maximum each for CV and letter) to Attention of Gordon Neil Please title email: [Insert Name] Gardener Application. Salary commensurate with experience.
Applications by post should be made to: Gordon Neil, Deputy Executive Director, Dumfries House Estate, Cumnock,Ayrshire, KA18 2NJ