Guides and Visitor Services Assistants at Dumfries House
We are looking for Guides and Visitor Services Assistants to help enhance the visitors’ experience and enjoyment of the house
To enhance the visitors’ experience and enjoyment of the house and grounds by engaging, exciting and educating them through the presentation of accurate and interesting facts and anecdotes relating to their history, design, and collection.
Visitor Services Assistant:
To assist in all aspects of the front of house operations to enhance the visitor experience whilst ensuring procedures in relation to the protection of the collection and health and safety are adhered to.
Head Guide/Visitor Services Coordinator.
Variable hours. Up to 5 days per week.
The post is based at the Prince’s Foundation, Dumfries House Estate, Cumnock, Scotland KA18 2NJ.
- Leading tours of the house presenting facts and anecdotes appropriate to the audience.
- Leading or assisting with guided tours of the Walled Garden and Estate.
- Being aware of the opportunity for damage or theft by visitors and to minimise this risk.
- Ensuring all visitors are aware of and comply with House rules relating to conservation requirements
- Considering and being mindful of, the particular requirements of visitors e.g. access requirements.
- Relevant degree level qualification or equivalent experience.
- Friendly, confident, enthusiastic, co-operative and well-presented whilst also tactful, diplomatic and discrete
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in dealing with a wide range of people – preferably in a public situation
- An enthusiasm for Scottish heritage and be able to enthuse, educate and entertain others
- Knowledge of, or interest in, gardening and horticulture would be an advantage
- The job involves some physical activity and is likely to include standing for periods of time and/or walking through the building and walled garden and estate
- Must be willing to work flexible hours
How to apply:
Please submit a completed application form together with a cover letter and CV (please note one A4 page maximum each for CV and letter) to Attention of Alex MacDonald firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title email: Guide or Visitor Services Assistant on the application.
Deadline for applications:
The deadline for applications is 15th March at 5pm.; applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
About The Prince's Foundation:
The Prince's Foundation was created in 2018, as a result of the consolidation of four existing charities, The Prince's Foundation for Building Community, The Prince's Regeneration Trust, The Great Steward of Scotland's Dumfries House Trust, and The Prince's School of Traditional Arts.
The Prince's Foundation by focusing on three core tiers - Education, Projects, and Attractions - delivers work to improve the built environment, save heritage, and promote culture and education. Through education The Prince's Foundation aims to create sustainably planned, built, and maintained communities, championing and celebrating the most important part of any community: its people. The charity continues to train a generation of architects, craftspeople, master planners, and place makers, in order to ensure the continuation of the kind of timeless skills which have been developed over generations.