Outdoor Residential Centre Assistant Manager & Senior Outdoor Education Instructor at Tamar Manoukian Residential centre
The Prince’s Foundation supports people to create community. Whether through championing a sustainable approach to how we live our lives and build our homes, teaching traditional arts and skills and restoring historic sites, or by looking after places to visit for everyone to enjoy, The Prince’s Foundation is leading the way forward.
On the Dumfries House estate near Cumnock, Ayrshire as well as the world class heritage sites there are seven bespoke training centres delivering the Dumfries House Education programme. They have grown from the vision of His Royal Highness, The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay’s desire to see young people engage in learning experiences that promote confidence, personal development and offer training in real life skills. All of our centres and programmes are available to schools, youth groups, local authorities and other organisations offering a unique experience for those who attend.
The Tamar Manoukian Outdoor Residential centre provides experiential indoor and outdoor learning for Primary and early Secondary school pupils and teachers, aimed to help inspire and engage young people in outdoor education, nature, harmony as well as develop social confidence through team building and social engagement. We also work with a wide range of adult groups in health and wellbeing initiatives.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed full time Assistant manager and Senior Instructor (37.5hrs per week, 5 days working over 7 with evening and weekend work) to join our team, reporting to the Indoor and Outdoor Residential Manager and Activity Instructor.
Salary Scale £20k - £22.5k
The successful candidate will be an excellent team player and will share Dumfries House estate’s passion for encouraging young people to work towards their maximum learning potential. You will possess the ability to work effectively, cooperatively and respectfully with children, parents, teachers and members of the public.You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; planning, setting agendas, coordinating/conducting meetings, events and workshops.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate a track record of educating and engaging with young people through adventurous activities, outdoor learning and harmony and nature activities.
- The ability to work within a team environment, yet demonstrate personal drive, accountability and ownership to deliver a high level of output is essential.
- A focus on creativity, innovation and continuous improvement is required to develop new ways to engage with our target audience of young people and career influencers.
- The ability to be flexible based on program needs.
Duties would include:
- s a skilled and experienced outdoor instructor you will create innovative lesson plans, linked to Curriculum for Excellence and the wider organisation mission and vision.
- Organising, implementing and delivery of the programmes based at the outdoor and indoor sports centre (including schools, youth and community groups) both residential and day visitors.
- Support the Residential Centre and Curriculum Manager to help develop, deliver and coordinate the new and existing programmes for school audiences and at external events.
- Effective hands on delivery of programmes with appropriate resource and time management.
- Assist Residential Centre and Curriculum Manager and education office with the compilation of programme timetables and work rotas as required.
- Assist Residential Centre and Curriculum Manager with budget planning and tracking.
- Ensure programmes are set up and work areas prepared for each delivery session.
- Administer training of programmes, mentor and supervise less experienced staff, work placement students and volunteers as well as self-evaluating own teaching skills.
- Engage with local authorities and external partners to deliver appropriate programmes.
- Undertake outreach visits to promote activity to new and existing partners.
- Carry out risk assessments as required for planned activities.
- Care, maintenance and cleaning of outdoor and indoor activity equipment, maintaining logs and updating procedures as required.
Required Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- The successful candidate should be educated to HND level, or equivalent, in a relevant subject or with equivalent experience in industry.
- A minimum of two valid and relevant qualifications in indoor/outdoor activity pursuits (preferably climbing and archery).
- An interest in nature and sustainability.
- An interest in health and wellbeing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational skills and ability to manage deadlines.
- An understanding of the application of Health and Safety to learning environment.
- Knowledge of current technical practice applicable to outdoor equipment and adventurous activities.
- An understanding of current education provision and employment routes in adventurous activities and outdoor learning.
- Ability to motivate and encourage people, utilising strong communication and people skills.
- Excellent problems solving skills.
- The post will be based at Dumfries House, Cumnock Ayrshire with the requirement to travel on occasion. A driving licence is required for this post; mileage expenses over and above the normal commute to and from work will be paid.
- Your working hours will be based on 37.5 hours per week linked to the target audience needs. Job share may be considered for suitable candidates.
- You must have the legal right to work in the UK.
- This post is considered to be Regulated Work with children as specified in the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) (PVG) Act 2007. Accordingly the preferred candidate will be required to become a member of the PVG Scheme, or undergo a PVG Scheme update if already a Scheme member, prior to any formal offer of employment being made. If you wish further information on the PVG Scheme you can visit the Disclosure Scotland website at www.disclosurescotland.co.uk
To apply please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is: Monday 16th September 2019.