Stem Tutor At the Morphy Richards Engineering Education Centre, Dumfries House
On the Dumfries House estate near Cumnock, Ayrshire as well as the world class heritage sites there are six bespoke training centres delivering the Dumfries House Education programme. They have grown from the vision of His Royal Highness, The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay’s desire to see young people engage in learning experiences that promote confidence, personal development and offer training in real life skills. All of our centres and programmes are available to schools, youth groups, local authorities and other organisations offering a unique experience for those who attend.
The Morphy Richards Engineering Education Centre provides experiential indoor and outdoor learning for Primary and early Secondary school students and teachers, aimed to help inspire and engage young people in Science Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed STEM Tutor to join our team, reporting to the STEM Co-ordinator.
The successful candidate will be an excellent team player and will share Dumfries House estate’s passion for encouraging young people to work towards their maximum learning potential. You will possess the ability to work effectively, cooperatively and respectfully with children, parents, teachers and members of the public.
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; planning, setting agendas, coordinating/conducting meetings, events and workshops.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills are required and the successful candidate should be able to demonstrate a track record of educating and engaging with young people through STEM activities.
- The ability to work within a team environment, yet demonstrate personal drive, accountability and ownership to deliver a high level of output is essential.
- A focus on creativity, innovation and continuous improvement is required to develop new ways to engage with our target audience of young people and career influencers.
- The ability to be flexible based on program needs.
Duties would include:
- Effective hands on delivery of STEM workshops.
- Support schools on STEM related issues and training.
- Support STEM Co-ordinator to help develop, deliver and coordinate STEM workshops for school audiences and at external events.
- Work with local authorities and external partners to deliver appropriate programs.
- Support administration for the Education Centre to include school bookings and enquiries.
- The successful candidate should be educated to degree level, or equivalent, in a relevant STEM subject or with equivalent experience in education or industry.
- Knowledge of the Curriculum for Excellence in relation to STEM and interdisciplinary learning would be beneficial.
- The post will be based at Dumfries House, Cumnock, Ayrshire with the requirement to travel across the North, South and East Ayrshire education locations. A driving licence is required for this post; mileage expenses over and above the normal commute to and from work will be paid.
- Your working hours will be based on 37.5 hours per week linked to the target audience needs.
- You must have the legal right to work in the UK.
- This post is considered to be Regulated Work with children as specified in the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) (PVG) Act 2007. Accordingly the preferred candidate will be required to become a member of the PVG Scheme, or undergo a PVG Scheme update if already a Scheme member, prior to any formal offer of employment being made. If you wish further information on the PVG Scheme you can visit the Disclosure Scotland website at ww.disclosurescotland.co.uk.
- To apply please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to Recruitment@dumfries-house.org.uk
- The closing date for applications is: 28th February.