The Library. Inspired by his experiences in trip to Constantinople in 1866, the 3rd Marquess commissioned his friend and architect Weir-Shultz to transform the servants’ quarters in the west pavilion into a luxurious Turkish bath.
Completed in the late 1800s, this was the earliest known example of its kind in Scotland, and consisted of a plunge bath, shampooing room and Turkish bath, with glazed white and majolica tiles which made up an elaborate floor mosaic, all lit by skylights. Blind Moorish arches were built into the corridor alongside, connecting the west wing to the main house. The suite of rooms were only accessible through a connected smoking room, creating a private male enclave for relaxation and the conducting of business.
After his father’s death in 1900, the 4th Marquess was more concerned with practicality, and had the Turkish Bath changed to a billiard room and library, again with the help of Shultz. Unfortunately, no drawings or photographs of the Turkish bath have survived.
The new split level room, completed in 1905, opened up the raised Smoking Room to the new Billiard Room by replacing the wall with a column partition, creating a semi-independent space allowing on-lookers to unobtrusively watch billiard games. The skylight was kept and the room lined with bookcases for a collection of books acquired from Loudoun Castle. This modern and practical arrangement is remarkably sympathetic to the original Adams design, and was achieved impressively without disturbing the exterior elevations.