News. Dumfries House Estate open to visitors
20th of November, 2020
Updated: 20th November, 2020
Due to East Ayrshire being placed under Level 4 government restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic, Dumfries House Lodge, The Coach House Café, and New Cumnock Outdoor Swimming Pool will all close from later today.
While The Coach House Café remains open today (Friday, 11am-3pm), here is your guide to the facilities available from this afternoon until December 11:
Kiosk open for takeaways
Toilets adjacent to Visitor Centre
The Queen Elizabeth Walled Garden
The Maguire Arboretum
Dumfries House (tours and events)
Dumfries House Lodge
The Coach House Café
The Visitor Centre
New Cumnock Outdoor Swimming Pool
Education programmes on the estate
If new restrictions are introduced from December 12 and allow us to do so, we would aim to reopen as many facilities as possible.
Visitors to the estate can continue to enjoy refreshments sold from the kiosk adjacent to the Visitor Centre. The kiosk will be open, weather-permitting, from 11am-3pm, and will offer coffees, teas, soft drinks, crisps and sweet treats. If closure due to adverse weather is necessary, we will give at least an hour’s notice via our social media channels.
Booking enquiries for Dumfries House Lodge can be made via the Dumfries House reception on 01290 425 959, and a member of the Lodge team will respond to you in due course. Booking for our five-star accommodation remains available online. Those who have made booking during the next three weeks will be contacted.
Access and parking
- Access is available by foot, by bicycle, and mobility transport via paths and roads where it is safe to pass.
- Access by car is via the entrance on the A70 Cumnock-Ayr road. The Barony Road entrance remains closed to vehicles.
- The main car park is subject to control by Dumfries House supervisors, with the number of spaces capped and parking subject to social distancing requirements.
Public outside spaces
- Public spaces such as the Arboretum and woodland walks are once again available to visitors. Seating alongside paths is available for use but, as with any such facility in a public space, is to be used at visitors’ discretion and will not be subject to regular cleaning.
- The Adventure Playground and The Engineering Playground are now open. We would politely request that visitors to the estate respect social distancing guidelines and the personal space of others while also adhering to advice conveyed on signs throughout the estate. Owners must keep pets on leads and clean up after them.
- The Queen Elizabeth Walled Garden is open from 10am until 4.30pm daily, with the last entry at 4pm. Entry to the Walled Garden is £3, payable via the honesty box at the entrance. Visitors are asked to follow social distancing guidelines while visiting.
We would politely ask that visitors respect social distancing guidelines and the personal space of others while also adhering to advice conveyed on signs throughout the estate. Pets must be kept on leads.
Visitors are welcome to bring picnics to be enjoyed in areas unlikely to inhibit others.
We look forward to welcoming you back!