News. Dumfries House estate reopens to visitors
17th of August, 2020
Updated: 17th August, 2020
Access and parking
- Access is available by foot, by bicycle, and mobility transport via paths and roads where it is safe to pass.
- Access by car is via the entrance on the A70 Cumnock-Ayr road. The Barony Road entrance remains closed to vehicles.
- The main car park is subject to control by Dumfries House supervisors, with the number of spaces capped and parking subject to social distancing requirements.
The main house
- The house is closed and tours are currently not running for members of the public.
Public outside spaces
- Public spaces such as the Arboretum and woodland walks are once again available to visitors. Seating alongside paths is available for use but, as with any such facility in a public space, is to be used at visitors’ discretion and will not be subject to regular cleaning.
- The Adventure Playground and The Engineering Playground are now open. We would politely request that visitors to the estate respect social distancing guidelines and the personal space of others while also adhering to advice conveyed on signs throughout the estate. Owners must keep pets on leads and clean up after them.
- The Maze will remain closed until further notice.
- The Queen Elizabeth Walled Garden is open from 10am until 4.30pm daily, with the last entry at 4pm. Entry to the Walled Garden is £3, payable via the honesty box at the entrance. Visitors are asked to follow social distancing guidelines while visiting.
The Coach House Café
- The Coach House Café is now open between 11am-3pm daily. Soup, sandwiches, wraps, sausage rolls and quiches are part of a reduced menu that also includes hot and cold drinks. The café’s offering will be complemented by that of the adjacent outdoor kiosk, which will continue to operate from 10am-4pm daily.
- Visitors are asked to report to the main café entrance where a member of staff will direct them to a table. Those entering are required to give name and contact details as part of the track-and-trace monitoring process.
- Twelve indoor tables and 14 outdoor tables are available on a first come, first served basis and only those purchasing refreshments from the café are permitted to use this seating. Those wishing to purchase takeaway food can purchase snacks and hot and cold drinks from the nearby kiosk.
- Only contactless and card payment is accepted and, while serving staff will be wearing protective facemasks, customers are not required to do so. Protective screens have been installed at the counter area.
- Toilets on the ground floor of the café are available for use by café customers only and will be manned by a housekeeper and disinfected regularly. All other visitors can use the toilets at the Visitor Centre.
- As a special ‘welcome back’ bonus, we are giving visitors to the café and the kiosk a 20 per cent discount on all purchases made on Monday-Friday during the next two weeks (from 17.08.2020). We are not participating in any other discount schemes.
- Woodlands restaurant closed for the foreseeable future to ensure safety of staff and members of public.
- The Visitor Centre (except toilets) remains closed.
- Two toilets within the Visitor Centre (adjacent to The Coach House Café) are available for public use and are subject to cleaning by Dumfries House staff after each use.
Dumfries House Lodge
- Dumfries House Lodge, our estate’s five-star bed and breakfast accommodation, will welcome back guests from this Sunday (August 16). Dumfries House itself remains closed.
- As part of a renewed Lodge offering that adheres to government guidelines, guests will be offered a full butler service that includes room service. Staff will be on hand to serve your choice of beverage from a full drinks menu and wine list throughout your stay as well as continental breakfast in the mornings.
- The Lodge’s dining and lounge areas are closed and we have capped the number of rooms available in order to encourage social distancing among guests. A triple-check disinfectant process is in place to ensure optimum hygiene levels throughout.
- We will operate an outdoor check-in procedure whereby guests will phone from their car on arrival before being escorted to their rooms.
We would politely ask that visitors respect social distancing guidelines and the personal space of others while also adhering to advice conveyed on signs throughout the estate. Pets must be kept on leads.
Visitors are welcome to bring picnics to be enjoyed in areas unlikely to inhibit others.
We look forward to welcoming you back!